I'd say that the vast majority of my arguments have been in favor of teaching our kids a little persistence/perseverance/etc. As a most recent example, during the eleven pages of discussion that preceded the post regarding Chua's article, I was quite decidedly in the Evil Ogre camp, in that I considered piano to be a requirement in our house, even when practices occasionally turned into Battles of Will.

Similarly, one of my favorite articles is still "What a Child Doesn't Learn," which discusses the importance of keeping kids appropriately challenged. I shared that countless times here and with most of the teachers at my son's school, as it succinctly expresses my underlying concerns about letting him coast though school.

I experienced the same nasty shock as you upon my first foray in higher education, and it wasn't until we were contemplating our son's first skip (into 1st @ age 4) that I fully understood what led up to the hitting-the-wall in college.

Largely due to my own experience, my approach with his education was to make sure he was challenged & stretched as much as possible. He'd already grown very complacent by 2nd grade and was addicted to the easy As he collected as a result of his intellect, leaving him extremely fearful of anything that even remotely resembled a challenge.

By pushing for the second skip in 4th, with an additional year skip in math, he began to realize how spoiled he had been previously. Now when he pulls of straight As, I feel as though he's actually done something to earn them. But I most certainly do not go into flying fits of rage over an A- or B+.

I don't think I missed Chua's points in her essay, either major or minor. And, while I hoped she was writing at least somewhat tongue-in-cheek , I think she was dead serious about the superiority of her overall approach. (Unless, of course, I totally missed some of that stereotypical Chinese Mother subtle humor.)

As for my fanciful desire to poke Chua's approach right in the eye, by Chinese partner said I nailed it. You are still correct, though, (and I thought it went without saying) that she would think me an idiot for not squeezing every last drop out of my own children, but it would absolutely drive her to distraction (and beyond) that her child had been outdone by some lazy bug-hunting Western high-nose.

Just like the Asian influence in our household cooking, I have no problem adopting certain aspects of Chua's approach, but I'd not sign up to take an immersion class on becoming a Chinese Mother. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just have slightly different goals for my kids.

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz