Originally Posted by JaneSmith
Val and passthepotatoes,

I think your responses are very mean-spirited and can't understand the point of posting them. They are not constructive at all

My intent was to offer a different perspective with the hopes that you could find solutions that would help end the conflict you are in right now. Take what works for you and leave what doesn't, but when you have such a negative reaction it never hurts to think about where that's coming from.

Ultimately every family has to decide what their short term and long term goals are for music lessons. The reason we have invested resources into music lessons for our child was: enjoyment of music, opportunity to develop a good relationship with a teacher, the opportunity to develop as a learner as he worked on a passion of his (not one chosen for him).

I often hear music lessons advocated for gifted kids as a way to learn self discipline or the value of hard work. I think this can be oversold. If the passion is genuine and the teacher and parents are supportive then yes, it can work out that way. But, unfortunately if the kid really lacks the passion or the parents get hyperfocused on results it can backfire and do more harm than good.

Passthepotatoes if you took piano for six years and can barely remember anything then maybe you have some underlying issues with regards to this topic.

I wasn't responsible for my own learning so I didn't retain a lot. That's not too surprising to me. And I know it may be hard to stomach when you are devoting so much time and money to this, but the reality is kids who take through elementary school and quit at middle school age often retain little as an adult. That's the norm, not the exception. I don't think that means it is without value if the kid is enjoying it and growing from the experience. But, I would encourage you to get away from the assumption that you are purchasing your child a lifelong skill. I've gone on to learn to play other instruments more competently, but that was because I had a passion for it and I took the initiative.

However, my son is only eight and really doesn't have the organizational skills to practice effectively completely independently. Again, I question the experiences of some of the posters. AN eight year-old playing pretty well is going to have a harder time practicing completely on his own than an eight year old playing Mary Had a Little Lamb.

Sorry, I know several kids that age who were practicing very competently while working at the level of Suzuki book three or four so that's beyond Mary Had a Little Lamb. Eight year olds aren't all the same of course and that's not to say your child has the capability to do that right now. I didn't hear anyone in the thread suggesting you refuse to provide support that he asks for rather that locking horns over how he practices doesn't seem to be working very well.