Originally Posted by intparent
JS, I do remember that at 8, my daughters (both took piano at that age) did require a lot of "mom help" just to make any progress at all in practicing. And I, too, am a single working mom. I know you are reluctant to quit... but I have to say that I was as relieved as they were when the piano lessons and daily practice were gone from our lives. I didn't realize how much stress it was adding for everyone until it was gone. I now really value activities where someone besides me does the coaching and pushing, or that they can pursue with less daily supervision smile It had become a forced march. In pursuit of a worthy goal, but in the end it was not worth it for us.

This sounds very familiar. I think part of my reluctance to quit is that the activities available to them when they were younger were not challenging enough. But now that they are older, these might make more sense. Its also appealing to think about the time we could spend on special projects. Again, I am not going to rush into any decisions right now, but this is good to hear.