I am blown away by reading some of the posts on this thread. As the parent of two successful kids (d20 and d15), I can't fathom making a kid continue something they hate just to teach them perseverence. I understand making them continue for a period of time because you made an investment of some kind in equipment, and making sure they understand up front about that. I understand making them finish out a season because the lessons are paid for or it lets their team down if they don't. But I just cannot understand forcing a kid to do something they clearly hate (and that makes them cry) for year after year.

As far as I can tell (as a successful adult), there will be plenty of opportunities in life for our kids to have to suffer through things they would rather not do and find very difficult(my college finance class comes to mind!). I really don't believe that forcing kids to continue activities like music lessons or sports that they hate beyond a given season gives them a leg up on this as adults at all. I think it just erodes any trust your kids have in you as a reasonable, caring person in their lives.

Agreed, by the way, on the swimming lessons. Driving is the other required item at our house (another life skill).