I have a question about extracurricular... dandy commented that piano lessons are not outside the curriculum, which was my first question. Is piano required or optional?

The second question has to do with the arts in general. What is the goal of having the arts part of the curriculum? Is it a certain level of achievent, e.g. Suzuki Book 3?

My personal viewpoint is that the arts - all of the arts - are for all humanity. Singing is not just for people with nice voices, dancing is not just for people with rhythm, and painting is not just for people who have the hand skills to pull of realism.

If playing piano is part of the curriculum, is the goal to simply stick with it? Or is achievement part of the expectation? Are the goals discussed, with rewards also discussed? Work always comes with rewards.

To the OP, I just also wanted to add that, if you ever find yourself thinking, during practices with your DS, "You are just like your father," with a great deal of tenseness, to consider that a giant red flag to back off and cool off. Maybe that's not at all an issue - I hope not - but I thought I'd mention it.

All the best to you ~

(We just signed DD up for combined piano, drums and voice lessons this week for her 4th birthday. I went in seeking Suzuki violin lessons, but was steered this way instead. I am relieved and DD is very excited.)