JaneSmith/OP:

So... I've enjoyed the extended therapy session(s) with Lucy Van Pelt(s), and will probably undergo some intense self-scrutiny later tonight.

But in the mean time, assuming you wish to maintain the mantle of evil ogre/overlord, here are some other things that made practice slightly more bearable in our home for child and parent alike:

1. Skip some nights of practice

2. Try a couple shorter sessions twice in the same day

3. Take an extended break (Been discussed, I know...)

4. Try different practice routines (focus on scales/improv one night, songs on the other).

5. Spend one or more lessons with the teacher learning how to practice. Sounds silly, but this was actually a great reinforcement for both of us!

6. Buy/rent/borrow an electronic keyboard -- the more bells & whistles the merrier.

7. Turn a practice into a jam session. If you can't play the right hand yourself, have HIM teach YOU and then play together. Or have him teach you a chord progression to play while he improvises.

8. Spend a whole practice playing as fast as he possibly can, while still maintaining some small resemblance to the original piece.

--------

Don't recall if you've already discussed this with the teacher. Perhaps teacher can come up with strategies -- working with you and/or your son -- to devise a plan that your son can go along with.

-- -- --

Lastly, I reached an interesting turning point with our son a year or so ago. We began having semi-regular conversations before each practice to discuss expectations... his and mine... and how to reach those expectations. Afterward, we would have a debriefing of sorts to discuss what did or did not work. (Not every practice, mind you -- don't want to rub salt in the wound.)

In particular -- and it sounds silly -- but I made a joke out of an extremely serious element:

"Don't forget, son, it's called Piano Practice... not Piano Perfect."

"Our goal for the first day of practice is 'Super-Stinky!'"

"Our goal for the second day of practice is 'Slightly Less Super-Stinky!'"

... and so forth.

Let him come up with the silly labels, all the while reinforcing the underlying theme. It's not expected to be perfect, and that you're just looking for small, incremental improvement each night.

-- -- --

Despite my admittedly ogre-like tendencies, I have no problem with using butter on vegetables, bubble-gum flavored toothpaste, etc., to accomplish a goal... and since my underlying dastardly secret mission is to trick him into a life-long enjoyment of his musical talents, I'll also do whatever necessary to take some of the sting out of piano practice.

[What spectacular timing for this thread. Our youngest meets with the teacher in a couple weeks to see if she's ready to undergo the methodical crushing of her spirit.]

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz