Yes, it was an alternative method in an effort to get her to set aside some mental roadblocks, since she's taken to tuning me out, and her avoidance in this particular class is, well, turned up to eleven, shall we say...

He simply doesn't listen to me about her learning style or her level of manipulation/avoidance. He's also been putting it off and letting her "play" for the last four days instead of getting to it, but that's another issue. I am plenty mad at him for handling the situation so badly, for sure. I got mad at her this morning not over the math test, but over the fact that she planned to only get 2-4 hours of sleep and because this was in the wake of me taking her computer yesterday after discovering her on CoolMath when she was supposed to be entering a (completed) English exam.

SHE is the one who is all in a tizzy over her grades. Seriously. This isn't us. We don't really care, but she went berserk last semester chasing straight A+'s. Even though they confer no additional advantage to her, GPA-wise. Well, I don't care, anyway; DH does, I think. My only concern is that the school environment currently leaves me holding the whip since there aren't a lot of deadlines-- so procrastination as a performance-avoidant strategy makes a lot of sense to my 11yo, if you KWIM. wink Oh, sure, the consequences are pretty bad. But they're a long way off (end of the term, really).

Exactly-- it isn't like he washes his hands of the problem if we send her off to school. She's going to come home with homework, after all, and she won't want to do THAT, either. Particularly not since it will all be material she was bored to tears by the first time she saw it.

It's also really unlikely that B&M school would be anything positive at this point, since they have even less differentiation than she's used to, and since the work would be even easier than she had four years ago, it would likely FEED that performance-driven perfectionism even further, probably with additional problems on top as a result of the disability + social issues this opens up.

It's a nightmare beyond my ability to even wrap my brain around it, honestly.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/29/11 07:02 PM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.