Thanks again to everyone for the very thoughtful responses.

We have a series of appointments for DD with a local PsyD, but I have some reservations/concerns about THAT, now, as well.

DH and I really don't think (relative to her basic maturity, personality, etc.) that this is ADD. Remember, we both have considerable experience as classroom teachers. We've seen a LOT more ADD/ADHD up close and personal than most parents.

Those behaviors really seem to be completely voluntary on DD's part, and distinctly different from the ADD we've seen in others. She is also highly oppositional, and definitely not placed "appropriately" in an educational sense-- this is just a 'least-worst' solution. Far from an 'ideal' one. She's a sprinter, and school by design asks all students to be distance runners.

IMO, there's simply no way to separate the behaviors from adolescent acting out and personality, nevermind inadequate nutrition and sleep, which are also present here. All of that assuming that academic placement were completely appropriate-- which it isn't.

Here's my concern about the PsyD we've been referred to. Her specialty is in "Diagnosis and Treatment recommendations for ADD/ADHD."

While I have no problem with that-- it is deeply concerning to me that this is also apparently someone with little experience in HG+ children, and recall that we do NOT have scores for our DD. (There are a number of reasons for that, actually.)

Based on a variety of information, we believe that her SB scores would likely be in the 160's, but much of that is based on comparative data and other family members' scores on that particular tool. Knowing that she's PG is a no brainer, really-- she tests at +99th percentile on out-of-level (+3 y) acheivement tests every year. We live in an area with a decided paucity of good mental health resources, nevermind resources for gifted children.

The first PsyD wants us to go to a second PsyD for "testing" of some kind. Apparently this is to take about four hours. I've asked for more detail than that-- because I am NOT going to be very happy about a battery designed to identify LD or psychiatric disorders if there is NO consideration of her LOG in the mix.

I'm also not necessarily going to give permission for testing unless there is a clear benefit to my child in knowing the answers. In other words, if they want to test her just because she seems novel, forget about it.

Maybe I'm worried for nothing. But I'd sure like to know how many or what percentage of this psychologist's patients walk out with a diagnosis of some pathology-- and whether or not she's got a lot of experience with PG kids.

Oh, and the appointments? The first PsyD we were referred to has us booked for her very first openings. In late JUNE. Ugh.

I realize that this is probably a fairly controversial (perhaps even :loaded:) question, but I know from experience with human beings that when you are holding a hammer, every problem tends to look like a nail. My DH and I both share the concern I outlined above-- that the person we've been referred to may see MOST kids as "probably ADD" and potentially ignore the fact that this kid's problems are almost certainly related to HG+ issues.

Are we right to be concerned about a misdiagnosis here? What would others do?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.