Thank you, PTP, for that honest reality-check. smile

I'm really trying to separate baby from bathwater in my own head, for sure. I'm significantly concerned about my daughter being "labeled" with some disorder or LD she most emphatically does NOT have. This really seems to be existential/isolation/alienation stuff. I can see her experiencing/thinking some of the same things that I did at thirteen and fourteen, which tallies perfectly with her LOG and mine.

I'd love to have "the numbers" to prove what we have known for years-- and better still to have it covered even partially by our insurance. So on the one hand, I'm VERY keen to do this; but then the angel of my better nature as a mom is on the other shoulder, and telling me that I can't jump at the chance without thinking it through... Maybe not if it doesn't mean anything. I just don't see how it WOULDN'T be skewed significantly due to sheer sleep deprivation, honestly. We're not experts by any stretch of the imagination, and even we can see the dropoff in executive and cognitive functioning. So if her cognitive function currently shows that she is "MG" and has executive function deficits, I'm doubtful that either thing is even meaningful-- but the label itself could be traumatizing to her. Being HG is part of her identity at this point, and being told "no, you're MG-- why can't you just relax and enjoy being with those other MG kids" isn't likely to help her much with her feelings of isolation/alienation. KWIM?

I'm not at ALL happy that the psychologist in question doesn't seem to want to discuss testing with DH and I ahead of time. It seems very strange, and it makes my parent radar twang a bit.

We have this pair of local (female) psychologists, and then there are a number of counselors that are MSW people-- we haven't dug much further than that yet since we are significantly restricted by gatekeeping in terms of our insurance. There aren't a lot of local options-- but we are still investigating things.

Beyond that, we're looking at travel-- which is very difficult because of disability issues that must be worked around.

We are out of range for anything south of the Bay area, and NEARLY out of range for the Seattle area. Denver or the east coast is simply not a possibility. The Portland area is actually the most realistic zone for us to look toward.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.