Great idea to find the RPG group. That would be an ideal way to meet smart folks and have some good social time.

I agree with you that the math department would be a better bet than the education department. While you might connect with a great education person you are more likely to hit up against misunderstandings about gifted stuff. Math people understand the idea of precocious talent and will be more open to letting her fly through material and get intellectual stimulation and it sounds like that's what she really needs. Also, really they care about math and they won't try to micromanage the rest of her education. I would suggest giving them as few boundaries as possible. So, instead of trying to work through a set curriculum of precalculus (or whatever. Encourage it be a more free forming exploration of whatever interests her and the mentor. That tends to be more satisfying for all involved.

As far as therapy, my thought is that ALL kids coping with a chronic life threatening illness AND their parents deserve the support of a therapist. These are big things to deal with and you all deserve support.

It is great you are looking for new opportunities and experiences. I bet a few months from now she's going to be in a much better place.

Last edited by passthepotatoes; 03/10/11 08:01 AM.