I told DH that if he's willing to place her at that kind of risk, then he ought to have contacted the HIGH SCHOOL about enrollment in the fall.

Because at least there, she stands to be in a more appropriate academic setting as a return on the risk to her safety (re: disability).

Honestly, though, I am just horrified.

I think that the social interactions could be positive in the high school, but I seriously doubt it in middle school. Kids take being "the smartest" way too seriously in this town... probably because so many of their parents care so much, frankly.

We know from discussions with other families that have been enrolled in local schools and (our) virtual school that the level of instruction is close to an order of magnitude higher where she is placed now.

We clearly have a kid who is struggling mightily because of performance-avoidant strategies related to perfectionism, probably brought on by inappropriately unchallenging curriculum (ie-- 100% is the ONLY 'authentic' goal to strive for, so she's done it, mostly with success) for the last six years...now morphed into a possible budding ED, risk aversion, and procrastination...

and my spouse's answer is to punish her by... making her do the last three years over again?? But... slower this time...

crazy

I truly don't even know what to say to him.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.