Sorry - yes, GC is Gifted Coordinator in my head - not sure if that's a common acronym or not!

Open house update - I'll start with the funny parts. I figured that his age wouldn't really come up when he started school, but right when we got to the open house, the girl behind the 4-H info table asked Simon how old he was and what grade he was going into, which of course he promptly told her. So much for that theory! Then when we went inside, the first person we saw was the new receptionist, who knows DS's age because he was just in kindergarten at the same time her son was. I know it's just a sterotype of receptionist's are gossipy, but I thought it was funny how it was becoming impossible for us to fly under the radar. And my final and funniest story: The previous GC, who DS loved and who basically tutored him in math last year, is now a FT 4th grade teacher at the new school that DS is attending this year. So we visited her at the open house, and she said she'd save a seat for him when he got to 4th grade. DS6 (who is just skipping 1st) said, "Maybe I'll can skip 3rd next year and go straight to Mrs. X's 4th grade class!"

The new GC seems to totally get gifted, and she's even familiar with HG kids. So we're excited about that. The new classroom teacher seems great too, and does reading programs at each kid's level, so that might work. We have a few kinks to work out since the plan from last year got changed last minute and some of the details never made it to the new school, but I'm cautiously optimistic.