Joining the party! My DD just turned 6 this summer. She had a very successful year homeschooling a little, and playing and exploring quite a bit. She's accelerated in everything with the possible exception of writing. Since we're homeschooling and she's young for grade, I'm still probably going to take almost a laid back approach with her for another year. She does have things she needs to do, but it doesn't take more that 30-45 minutes. She takes violin lessons and does many extra activities (dance, circus, swimming, others on occasion). Lots of social time is important to her.

We aren't starting until September either! We are going on vacation right after labor day and starting after that. It's been great taking advantage of off peak travel!

When my kids are asked what grade they're in, they just say the age appropriate one. I've found, 95% of the time people really are interested in age and don't want the specifics of our homeschool day. If people ask more questions, I go into it. Many times I've found if people start asking questions they have some sort of context for understanding more info. Sometimes my kids will be reading, or my son will start talking on some topic, and I might get another question. I don't downplay it. I just say they are strong readers or very verbal, etc.