Originally Posted by gratefulmom
DS6 loves to write, too, so he now tells everyone "Never underestimate a 6 year old!" LOL!

Love it! I'm so glad the radical acceleration worked out well. Sounds like a good fit.

We have some big news here. We visited a school for HG kids this fall, just exploring the possibility for next year. We all loved it, even DS7. Well, we got a call yesterday that there was an opening this year, because a student was moving. He can start anytime! We are probably going to have him switch in 2 weeks, at the end of a quarter. This school works a year ahead, plus works faster so they have time for other cool units. Since DS skipped a year, he'll fit right in this year, since he's more like 2 years ahead. The school also does a lot of ability grouping within the classroom. I'm probably more excited than he is at this point, because it's a little scary for him to leave his friend. I reminded him that he still sees his best friend from kindergarten, who is at a different school because of DS's grade skip, and I assured him we'd set up all kind of play dates with new friend too.

It was a hard decision to move him mid-year, but we really feel that getting him in with this group of kids in the first year of the program (it goes 2-5 grade) will be a better fit, and he'll hopefully be more likely to stay there without another grade skip for awhile. (It also was a hard decision because it will be a long drive for DS- I'm used to it because the school is near my work.) At his current local school, they are really doing a great job of being flexible and accommodating DS, but it's a lot of work for them, and most of the time, it's not gifted programming. But because of the grade skip, it has been OK.

It will be very hard to go in and tell the local school that we're pulling our DS, especially after the history we've had of some pretty contentious meetings that ended up with them coming up with a great solution for our DS. I still feel bad about that. We're not pulling our DS because we were upset with some of the things the school did, but really we want DS to have intellectual peers his own age. We don't want to burn any bridges - we might need to come back. Or want to come back (the HS here has a lot of different options that would probably work for DS). So, wish me luck on Monday when I go report the pullout.