Originally Posted by Exo
I'm happy to hear that many people seem to be having a great start to the school year!

Originally Posted by Mom2MrQ
What kinds of things are your children studying in first and second grades? We are all over the place because we homeschool and have that freedom, but I am curious about what others study. Do they teach science in first and second grades in most schools? Geography? Social studies?

Our DD6 is schooling at home through a k12 charter and they do science and history/geo. Here's the description from their first science unit to give you an idea: "Learn the tools and techniques for measuring length, mass, volume, and temperature in standard metric units. Use the scientific process to make predictions, record results, and draw conclusions. Gather and communicate information by compiling data in a table and drawing and interpreting a bar graph." They also have units on matter, weather/water cycle, light, animal adaptations... Both our DD's love science, I think I just need to give them a day to focus on it because they would spend hours taking the experiments and projects wider. I recall DD9 studying light in first at her B&M school, as well as oceans.

They also do history/geo. This year first grade seems to focus on ancient civilizations while last year was about world geo and US history. DD6 got sucked into the revolutionary war in K and still hasn't come out of that little obsession. She's excited about ancient Egypt this year though.

My DS6 is also doing a k12 charter. He's really enjoying it so far - especially since he can do as much science as he wants, lol. The history seems to be getting his attention since he gets to learn about ancient Egypt.

What he really loves is math though and they moved him up to the 3rd grade math - and it's still too easy but I think it'll be good review for him for now.

I'm just happy that he is enjoying school and will tell anybody who asks what he is learning and how much he loves it!