How are things shaping up for 1st and 2nd graders in school, homeschoolers and everyone?

It sounds as if everyone is off to a decent start this year. That's always good to hear. This is our first week of school. We dabbled with school two weeks ago, but this was our first official week. (We homeschool.) On Monday we started our school year with a trip to a safari park and a few other special things. We jumped into things on Tuesday. So far, so good. He's not made one of his leaps in the past two months, so I'm on the lookout. Last year was full of surprises and I had to revamp our curriculum three times. I think we'll be okay this year, but one never knows.

Our big issue right now is that DS is really beginning to appear quirky to everyone. I don't mean funny quirky either, but eccentric quirky. I felt like I finally understood the "whys" of his actions last October when we got his WISC scores. Everything finally made sense to us. What a relief it was even though it took me several months to accept it.

DS has changed so much this past year (from 5.5 to 6.5), and he really appears to be very different than his age peers. We've always dealt with this issue, but now adults are commenting on it and DS is becoming aware of his differentness. He's had to deal with some bullying this summer. frown

I've had a couple of people mention Asperger's to us over the past five or six months. I did read a book on Asperger's that was offered to me. It was surprising to see how many of his quirks were labeled as AS issues. (I also saw many of my own issues, so...) I think that the unsettling part was when I would read phrases that parents of AS children find themselves saying a lot; I say many of these same things, and they are very specific things, not just general ones. Gifted issues? AS issues?

Do any of you get the Asperger's possibility brought up to you? Do you see that your child is really different from his/her age peers? Has that differentness become more obvious at six or seven? *sigh* I'm just so tired of dealing with these issues. Just when I think I have it all figured out, he changes and I begin to doubt everything.

On a positive note, I do think that I'm seeing an improvement in his fine motor skills. His handwriting has improved, but he still can't do a high-five without being spastic and missing your hand. We're working on it. (He'll be 7 in a few months. whistle )