Hi everyone! We're still new here, but I saw your K posts from last year and am so glad to join in with all of you! DS will be an official 1st grader in a few weeks.

We started homeschooling in January after half of a year of PS Kindergarten, and we're starting up again in a few weeks through our charter. As a Kindergartener in the public school, we went through the typical PG issues with acceleration (school suggested, but we didn't feel it was the right solution) and differentiation (school was supportive, but it wasn't nearly enough).

We have a public school HS charter that is the perfect solution. As LMom put it, DS is a "first grader on paper only," but it gives him the flexiblity to jump into higher level academic workshops while still enjoying some of the fun "artsy" things that the other 1st graders are doing. It also helps us to be able to keep him registered as a 1st grader for religion class and sports (where he is not nearly so gifted! LOL).

In addition to our charter activities, we are also in two co-ops. Our Monday co-op is with a lot of older children (most not gifted), and it's a great way for us to study "out" instead of just "up." We have several vendors lined up, and have a schedule filled with Spanish, science labs, music appreciation, fine arts and drama class, and LEGO Robotics. Our Friday morning co-op is comprised of more than 50 families, and he'll be able to choose 2 similar "learning out" classes. Both sets of parents seem very supportive when I've explained that he is 6 in terms of arts/gross motor, but 3th-5th grades academically. I have my fingers double-crossed that this works out.

One question that I'd love to throw out to this group is something that comes up a lot right now. It's extremely common for random people to ask DS how old he is, followed by questions of what grade he's in, particularly when he has a schoolbook with him (ie at the dr's office/one of his brother's activities, etc.) We've tried the simple answer of "K" or "1", but when they see what he's reading/doing, it turns into a further conversation. I don't love explaining to strangers, and this will surely come up with other kids (particularly when the older kids in the co-op and workshops see him in them). Does anybody have any thoughts that you could help us with this?
Thanks!! smile

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2