Originally Posted by Grinity
Originally Posted by st pauli girl
[When I picked up DS's stuff after school, his teacher said that there were quite a few tears when the kids found out that DS was leaving. He said he's been teaching quite a while, and had kids leave before, but this was the first time he's seen the classmates crying over it.

Oh SPG - bittersweet, but I hope things are going well!

DS7 himself wasn't too torn up about it! I finally got him to write a thank you to the pretty little girl who gave him a special gift and "I hope you don't forget me" note. smile

Things are going well at the new school. The teacher is doing all these great things to make it fun, and because they work faster, they have time to do some fun extra units. DS does say it's hard sometimes, and he liked it when it was easy, but his parents are quite happy! I've noticed a couple of things that I can now blame on lack of challenge. For instance, DS has never been the best speller in the world, up to now, but now that he's got more challenging words he's doing much better. Also, he has gotten excited about reading (maybe it's the fact that he's captive during our long car ride). He's devouring the Simon Basher science series.

And I don't know if you remember the beef we had with the old school, where he was supposed to start in 3rd grade math at the beginning of the year, but they had him basically re-do the same 2nd grade math he had done the year before. They said he wasn't passing the pretests. Well, he was dropped right in the middle of 3rd grade math at the new school (same curriculum) and has been perfectly comfortable with it, even though he missed the first half of the year. So it makes me a little irritated with the old school, but I know they meant well so I'll try not to be.

JJsmom - any news?