So now we've reached a difficult decision... because it may involve moving, it's more than just a choice between two schools.

DS7's current school is a Title I school with half the population being ESOL. BUT, he is on a gifted track, with about 12 other students and would follow this track through 5th grade, which would include his Target (ALP) classes. The benefits could be huge being clustered like this.

The charter school just broke away from the Imagine Charter system. That's a plus, but I have now been told that a counselor at DS7's current school pulled her two kids from this school, and the other gifted teacher at DS7's current school was hired for the gifted spot at the charter for the 2010-11 year, but in the end turned it down. We couldn't try it and decide to pull DC if we didn't like it because we'd basically have to move (we rent) closer to the charter. The charter, to give it its props, has a waiting list. If it was awful, it wouldn't right? It now governs itself with a board (instead of Imagine), and it's about to move into a new building. It boasts high test scores, and one of the main complaints I have read is that if your child isn't gifted, you do not want him/her to go there (which is a plus for us).

I am on a mission now to talk to both the counselor and the other gifted teacher at DS7's current school. We have until the 24th to claim our spots at the charter. I hate decisions like this!