JJsMom, the reading buddies sound like a good plan. We did that through our library program a few years ago, and DS loved it! The older elem kids are so good with the younger ones, too, so it's really heartwarming for everyone.

Math buddies would be great! I just learned about math circles and am considering trying to get one together. That, or an OM team. I'm going to offer it as another idea at our charter. So far they've been really great and have offered to try and start spelling bee and geography teams at my request, even though DS6 doesn't even make the regional age criteria. Unfortunately, to get anything going, I'm probably going to have to coach, and we're always close to schedule overload as it is.

I have a funny story with shoe-tying, too... DS6 learned it when he was 4, and we even made a book about the story he created to go with it. However, he always had trouble getting his tight sneakers on by himself, so all through K he wore slide on/velcro shoes. About a month ago, I realized that he had completely forgotten how to tie his shoes, and he had to learn it all over again! We also realized that his sneaker laces are too short since he can't tie as tight as you or I would, and the loops keep coming untied. We end up tying them for him so they don't come undone and double-knotting for him, which just perpetuates the can't-do-on-own-anymore cycle. Whatever did we do at that age? It just didn't seem as complicated back then, did it?? LOL

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2