Originally Posted by mom2twoboys
My DH is a fast reader and this is something he's done his whole life. He often can't really tell you character names b/c if they aren't simple names, he reads them by a letter or two and somehow manages to follow the character. He also grade skipped 1st grade completely. So, I'm wondering if this is a trait that others of you have seen as well and how you deal with it. Given that DH still does this, I suspect it would be very difficult to change in DS6.

Thoughts?

I actually do this too when reading silently. DS6 NEVER skips words (in fact when we read together he always corrects me if I say one thing wrong)...but we have had the same issue about the "comprehension" piece. I don't now why I put that word in quotes but I guess it is because it always annoys me when teachers say how well kids can read but that they don't do as well with comprehension when they really do fine with it. Some kids do struggle with it, but I don't think my DS is one of those kids. My DS6 skipped K and is in 2nd now. He is reading some more challenging books as far as I know, but they are giving him mostly 2nd grade work for reading and say that he is advanced in comprehension but that they can still keep him challenged in 2nd. For Math he is advanced 2-3+ years and they really get his abilities and are meeting his needs by challenging him. I am not sure why they can't see it for reading. I will bring it up at the next conference, but his ELA homework this year is killing me. It takes him like 1 minute to complete. He definitely needs something more challenging. He actually does his morning work with the 4th grade and some of his activities have been on comprehension and he gets those right....so I don't get why they can't challenge him more.