Originally Posted by st pauli girl
"I hope we dissect a dog. I would really like to see what it looks like inside a dog." I was equally surprised that he knew what dissection was, and that he wanted to cut up a dog (his favorite animal).

Last year our cat went into renal failure and died. She was with us for 15 years and I was devastated. On the way home from the vet with her body, my 5 y/o ds told me that he would like to see her. I prepared him for what she might look like (she was very bloated) and told him that he could see her. Once we were home I unwrapped her for him to see.

He touched her fur and petted her and I stood there and wept. Then he looked at me and asked, "Can I dissect her?" I was horrified! I said, "No! You can't DISSECT her!" I was horrified! He looked shocked by my reaction to his request. (I would normally already be running for the dissection kit at such a request.) He then stated, "Well, didn't you say that her body is just a shell and that *she* isn't really in there anymore?" Errr... yes, I DID say that, but...

After telling myself that I was pretty sure that he showed no signs of turning criminal, I did for a moment consider allowing him to dissect her, but I knew that *I* wouldn't be able to handle dissecting her. I had known her too long. Anyway, that's when I began to suspect that there might be something just a little bit different about my son's brand of 5 y/o curiosity. wink
[b][/b]