Hi again.

DS6 is trying a new class today, and I'm a little mommy-stressed. Our homeschooling group found 2 teachers to teach a core academic class one morning a week. The kids are broken into 2 classes: 10 2nd-3rd graders, and 8 4th-5th graders. The teachers have been teaching at the local Phoenix schools for 20 years (1 was principal), and they teach at a charter now. They seem top-knotch, and have really great lesson plans centered around the Jungle Book, writing for publication, math salon, science, geography, etc.

My stress is because we're going to place DS6 in the upper class. He's been friends with this crowd for a year, doing less-academic things like LEGO Robotics, drama, etc. Since the next age-level kids are 2nd and 3rd, and he'll be jumping over them to the 4th-5th class, I'm wondering what the social reaction will be. Plus, DS6 likes to be the funny guy to impress the older kids, and I'm really hoping he can put his "mature" hat on and not stand out behavior-wise as the 6 year old that he is amongst 9-10 year olds.

I know lots of you have gone through this, so it helps to read what you've all written. This is our biggest jump, and the fact that it's with kids he already knows but who don't realize where he academically falls has me a little worried. It wouldn't be a big deal to move him back down to the 2nd/3rd grade class. The teachers have agreed that he's academically able to participate at the upper level, though, and I really want him to be challenged in a class situation.

I guess we'll know in a few hours how it goes!

HS Mom to DYS6 and DS2