Wow, some of you start the school year early! Ours starts in September, so there's plenty of time to worry. smile DS6 is accelerating into 2nd grade at our local public school next year, with 3rd grade reading and math. Not sure if that will be with other kids or by himself. DS6 is moving to the 2-4 grade center, so it will be all new principal, teachers, kids, etc. We don't know anything about teacher assignment and haven't even met the principal, since we got notice of the skip the week after school ended, when everyone was starting vacation. Oh well! We'll start over in a few weeks, I guess.

DS6 seems pretty excited about the skip. At a party, a stranger asked us what grade DS was going into, and I said 2nd. DS was in earshot, so he piped up, "I was in kindergarten and now I'm going to 2nd!" I was planning on just not talking about it at all!

One of the items on the list of things 2nd graders are supposed to know: tying your shoes. I laugh at this, because I have so few shoes with laces myself. DS has even fewer. I'm sure this is mostly a concern when they didn't have all the shoe options and the teachers were required to tie everyone's shoes... We shall give it a go, but I fear success will be difficult, since I can't come up with a good answer to "why do I have to do this?" at this point!

Good luck to everyone with all the different school options. I love to read about all the different choices - this is where I get my great advocacy ideas. smile