Originally Posted by EastnWest
Hello all -

How are things shaping up for 1st and 2nd graders in school, homeschoolers and everyone?

We just finished our first week w/both boys in new schools. Going into the change DS6 was psyched and DS8 was happy, but more nervous.

So, at the end of week 1 ... DS8 had a fabulous week. Loves his teachers, is in a homeroom for the morning that's entirely kids doing math 1 yr ahead. And he loves his afternoon language arts teacher. I always felt that he could do much more than our old school pushed him to do, but he's not a kid who EVER asks for more than he's given. This new school simply expects more and it seems to work for him so far. It's nice to see him naturally step up.

DS6 meanwhile, has been really whiny all week. He likes his teacher, as do I, so that's good. She's been teaching for 25 years. She's going to start implementing an integrated curriculum where reading, writing, science and social studies units are all working together. Logical, I know, but not what our county has been doing the past few years. I think that will be good for DS6. She plays music in the class all day, which I think is pretty cool.

Don't yet know if this is good or bad, but he got placed w/the same child he was paired w/at our old school last year. The two of them were a bit too uppity about being the smart kids -- hence my nervousness about it. He's been pretty glued to her all week. I'm still waiting for the school to set the reading and math groups and am hoping that his reading group is more than just the two of them this year.