Thanks JJsmom for starting this thread back up. It's great to hear so many of you have such good plans. Welcome to the new folks!

We haven't been too focused on worrying about school for DS6 -- mostly because he got into the magnet program for grade 1. Lots of parents in the area have great things to say about the school and it's equipped to both give DS a peer group and accelerate him where he needs. I'm still kind of shocked that he ended the school year reading at 4th grade level, according to his teacher. He seems to have slowed down a bit for the summer, which is fine -- and probably means he'll make some massive leap at some point soon, sigh.

He did INSIST on buying tie sneakers so he could learn to tie them. We're now over the frustration phase (mostly mine b/c he would patiently keep trying to tie the laces, making me wait for an hour or more until he got it ... and he WOULD NOT let me show him how to do it.) And his swimming has grown by leaps and bounds.

Our bigger issues have been in figuring out what will happen next year with DS8. We're trying to get him into a different school for the fall that would be a good fit. Our fingers are crossed that the county approves the application. Our district does a bunch of testing at the end of 2nd grade, and it turned out that he tested in the 99th percentile for quantitative in both the InView and Raven -- well, Raven, he was in the 99th percentile for a 9 1/2 yr old and he was exactly 8 when he took it. We've never tested the kids, and while I've always known that he's a math-focused kid, the scores surprised me.

He's been getting math 1 yr accelerated since 1st grade, but could probably go a bit faster if given the material. He asked in June to do 4th grade math over the summer, but we've been so busy that there hasn't been much time for him to do the workbooks. Plus, unlike DS6, he isn't really a self-motivated kid, particularly if the material comes from mom.