Originally Posted by shellymos
but we have had the same issue about the "comprehension" piece. I don't now why I put that word in quotes but I guess it is because it always annoys me when teachers say how well kids can read but that they don't do as well with comprehension when they really do fine with it. Some kids do struggle with it, but I don't think my DS is one of those kids.

This morning on the news they had a piece about a kid in middle school who is just now comprehending. All the kids in the piece were talking about how reading words is the focus in earlier grades, not what they are actually reading.

DS6.5 has AR tests on what he reads. He has to complete 15 per each 9 weeks. I think that is HUGE when it comes to comprehension. He used to be in a habit of skipping words, but because of these tests he is being "forced" to read them all. Comprehension & vocabulary (hand in hand? I think so!) were always my weak points growing up, and I think that is why. I learned to read words, but not what the words meant. I am glad he is learning the vocabulary too!