My 12-year-old homeschooled, verbally gifted, 2E son who has SPD, hypotonia, dyspraxia and motor dysgraphia, and also wears an uncomfortable scoliosis brace when clothing tags used to bother him, and also gets frequent migraines, got his first assignment back in his homeschool 7th-9th grade co-op writing composition class. It was his very first real grade since we homeschooled after he finished kindergarten and it was his first graded work by a professional teacher in a class that I thought he might have trouble with because of his dysgraphia and absolutely no experience with creative writing.

He made an A+. Her comments were "Yikes! Scary Story. Good job building up the suspense." He had made only one small punctuation error.

He turned in his second story yesterday and I think it is even better than the first. He discovered that he really can do well with creative writing if he types and is not slowed down by his mild disability. We had lunch with another homeschool mom who is a writer for our local newspaper. She looked at his second assignment and thought it was really good. She told she remembered having trouble writing fast enough to keep up with her thoughts and it was so much easier to do once she was allowed to type. I will never understand why some teachers don't want to allow this type of accommodation for kids with handwriting disabilities.

My son also finished the five pages of grammar worksheets she assigned, some of them at the very last minute in class during a break, and found that when his right hand started cramping he could write with his left hand.