Aeh, thank you very much for taking the time to view his video & post a comment.

I hope he does continue to explore music but who knows..

A few relevant points I’ve pondered:

There’re limited productive hours in a day - it can be hard to decide whether to pursue many interests well or a few interests very well.

The law of diminishing returns can make it seem more personally rewarding to pursue many interests, but to access resources & support for the elite, one probably has to focus on one path to be competitive and that would likely entail sacrifice of other interests.

Whilst digital technology is a fantastic enabler, it also highlights that mass popularity, a common measure of ‘success’, is about what appeals to the average who aren’t particularly interested in technical quality and the effort that goes into it - my youngest created a one minute Tik tok video of herself sketching an anime character and it went viral, with a flood of gushing, superlative comments. My son is happy for his little sister, but I suspect he has contemplated the different efforts vs impacts of their respective endeavours.

For now, I am pleased that DS is working on a couple of fully original major compositions which he will likely submit as his HSC works. I suspect whether he pursues music later may depend on the formal assessment & critique of these works by examiners (whose opinion he will value most highly) and/or reception to these pieces when he eventually uploads his performances to his YouTube channel.

The main aim of these short cover arrangements is to provide evidence of co-curricular activities for his Uni application, so in that respect, hopefully his efforts won’t be wasted.