My DD10 goes to a very very small private school. She just skipped to 6th grade. There are only a few kids in her class. She has a wonderful teacher who was excited to have her in the class and really sees it as a challenge to come up with ways to best teach my daughter. Now, after two weeks of school, they have had a number of quizzes which she made hundreds on all of them except one and today they had their first two tests (Science and Penmanship). Her teacher was the one checking the kids out in the pick up line. When I pulled up she was so excited because my daughter made As and the two tests and a 100 on her Science tests. She was just so bubbly and she looked at me with my unintentional this-is-not-surprising look and said very dryly "..but you probably expected that didn't you?" I could only shrug my shoulders.

On another note, my dd10 who hated writing for almost all of the reasons in the article someone pointed me to on here, told me that she is liking language a lot more this year because this teacher makes it fun.