Originally Posted by 22B
Originally Posted by ColinsMum
DS10 has just turned the last topic blue in Alcumus [not counting prealgebra, which got added when he was well able to do the algebra questions and so has never been his focus: all Algebra, Number Theory, Counting & Probability and Geometry topics blue.]

And hasn't bothered to tell me - I know because I have his password.

Question: How do you turn a topic blue? It seems to me that once you hit green it moves to the next topic, when one more question in a topic would turn it blue. A few bars happen to be blue, presumably when one question's points put it from below the green threshold to above the blue.
Yeah; once everything is green it goes round again and turns everything blue, basically. (And while I don't pretend to understand how it's working in detail, the typical question level goes up, I think, so it's not a waste of time.)
Story: DS8 recently had almost finished pre-algebra (at green) when he figured some answer was 1/6, but instead of simply entering "1/6" he looked at the formatting rules thought he'd try "\frac{1}{6}" just to learn and try something. But when he went to press the shift key he accidentally hit enter, before he finished typing it, and his "answer" "\frac{1" was marked wrong. On the 2nd attempt at answering, despite being more careful this time, it happened again, his "answer" "\frac{1}{6" was marked wrong, and the question disappeared, and a new question appeared. DS8 was so upset he couldn't continue even though he only needed a few question to finish pre-algebra. Hopefully I can coax him back onto it soon.
Argh, yes, btdt. Makes one wonder how hard it could be to have a syntax checking phase that would ask "did you really mean that?" before marking something wrong. (Might be worth suggesting, actually.) Fwiw tolerating such things is an area where DS has improved a lot in the last couple of years, so hang in there!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail