Originally Posted by Irena
Originally Posted by Lovemydd
I came here not to brag but to ask if anyone can shed some light on the legitimacy of Creative Communications (poeticpower.com). Someone on this board mentioned it and I entered dd4 poem in their contest. I got an acceptance email but now I am thinking it is just a scam. Sorry if this is not an appropriate post.
Oh interesting. My DS entered this, too. His was also picked to be published and then supposedly a published poem is in the finals from which they pick top ten winners. Gosh I hope it is not a scam. But he feels proud to see his work in print and be a finalist. If he is actually one of ten winners, it'll have been worth it. He's also in the Totem Head Short Story Contest. That definitely does not seem like a scam.
and
I found this about it on the Davidson website: http://www.davidsongifted.org/db/Resources_id_10045.aspx
and
Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
It's a common format like Who's Who books. Ultimately it sells books, but it makes sense for the competition to be totally above board on the actual winners. The adult variations of these also get people up front with submission or reading fees. Then again, there are much more expensive ways to feel good about one's effort.

These types of anthologies and who's who type directories are sometimes referred to as "vanity press". They are similar to a yearbook in that the customers would tend to consist of those who are represented inside the book. They are not generally broadly distributed, found in bookstores, or offered by online retailers. Nevertheless, they make a nice keepsake. Some schools participate in vanity press projects and these can be meaningful as one tends to know the other contributors.