Thanks, everyone. smile Yeah-- it's pretty identifying (but wherever she is would be, outside of a few places, since she's still so young, and female, and in CS)-- but I think that is the key. This is probably NOT a place (even in STEM, which is its specialty, more or less) which would still be a good fit for an 18yo PG student. At 14-15, though, sure. As long as she isn't living in the dorms, and as long as she's in the Honors College (smaller classes, higher level instruction, a bit more pampering/interaction with faculty).

At 18, however, she's going to be looking to do something like head to a major research center for a graduate program, or spend a year abroad, so this is fine. I seldom see her these days because she is both busy and spending a lot of time with her friends. She has good friends who are also living at home and 2e, and we have an excellent transit system-- which also makes a huge difference.

College quarters often start toward the end of September, but yes, it's a pretty late start. Finals aren't until the third week of December, usually.

This is a public state school identified on several engineering school lists, and on a few "best buy" ones, too. I would not pick this school for a child with interest in the humanities.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.