My first brag... glad I have somewhere to talk about this:

The whole family was at the dentist yesterday. DD11 got done first (nicer teeth, I guess) and I heard the hygienist ask if she wanted to sit with DH or I or wait in the waiting room. She opted to wait... but instead of staying in the waiting room, she took it upon herself to walk over to our local veterinarian's office (same strip mall, other end). There she presented herself to the staff and asked about volunteering. When they said they usually offer a program through schools, she told them she was a home schooler and should be able to volunteer directly. She left her email and number. Then she returned to the dentist.

When we heard about this (on the way home, we wouldn't have been the wiser) I decided to call the vet and just let them know that, yes, we'd approve of her helping out. They said she'd been perfectly lovely and very mature.

Today I see an email to her (I get a copy of her incoming mail as the postmaster of our own domain) from the office saying that shadowing a vet requires being 16 (liability insurance) and to give them a call. I decide to call the office and chat with them.

The receptionist indicates that the office manager is on the phone... with my daughter. She then lets me know that DD and the office manager have sorted it all out, they are aware that she's 11, and that she doesn't need to talk to me. I think her quote was "if she's mature enough to come in on her own, I think she's mature enough to arrange something with us."

I just said "well, I guess she really doesn't need me on this one" and we both had a bit of a laugh. Just as I hang up the phone rings and it's my daughter, wanting to know if she's free on Saturday because she's going to interview the vet and write a paper. My response "you can always check the calendar on your phone, but yes you are free and we will drive you." I left it to her to call the vet back.

I guess we're lucky she didn't just make the appt without asking and take the bus or something. Part of me wants to scold, but how can I?