Originally Posted by indigo
EagleMum, Yes, I see it could be very handy to have the music posted on the internet to substantiate the ECs, in case Uni admissions department wants to verify claims made on the CV. Since the time of the Operation Varsity Blues college scandal, which included fabricating fake sports credentials, it is wise for parents to coach their college-bound children to create documentation.

smile

Well, DS has just finished his Uni applications.😅 I’m not sure what is expected for applications in the US, but here, it was disappointing that DS was only allowed to submit a maximum of five EC categories. He selected academic competitions (national Olympiads), creative arts (music), sports (able to list all his achievements), employment (he’s a proofreader for an education company and his employer provided him with a fantastic reference letter). To show that he is an all rounder, he also selected volunteering (as a peer mentor at school), but that meant that he had to leave out a lot of activities such as the national mathematics summer school (he was also invited back to make up the experienced group) which was in a separate category of academic extension. Seems a shame that the system doesn’t allow applicants to provide their full range of activities and achievements for consideration.

As part of the music aspect of this ‘brag thread’, he recently came second at an eisteddfod and the brilliant young pianist who came in first place asked DS where he got the arrangement of the popular song DS played and was very impressed when DS told him it was his own arrangement. DS has also just uploaded a new performance to his YouTube channel to demonstrate ongoing involvement in music (
). He’s only performing a piece by Jarrod Radnich ‘I saw three ships’. DS has three more of his own arrangements that are nearly ready but he also needs to spend time preparing for his upcoming final school (HSC) exams. These extracurriculars really do take up a lot of time for genuine participation, so I can understand the anger against those who are successful with applications containing false claims about ECs.