Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
DD9 is not a "performer". She doesn't like standing up in front of the class to present a report, being on stage for a play, or even singing with the entire 4th-5th grade at the Christmas program. She just doesn't like being in the spotlight where she knows everyone will be watching her.

So we were so proud when she came home one day and told us she signed up for the school spelling bee. I didn't even know the school was having a sign up. She is what I would call a natural speller and must put to use that huge memory she has. With some effort and etymology training she could be really good. Well next thing I know she is rethinking her decision. We talked about how it is important to follow through on things and how good she will feel if she sticks it out and does this. We explained how it was a learning experience for her and it didn't matter the outcome because if she can get up there and do it she has already accomplished something.

Well she did overcome her fears and nerves and she won! I seriously get teary-eyed just thinking about it because I know how difficult it was for her. She says she wants to do it again next year too. SO PROUD!!!!

Wow! Great job encouraging her to stick with it and what a great lesson for her! So happy for you both!