laugh

DS6 has been getting some fairly lame writing assignments for homework lately-- at least from his point of view, with which I openly concur much of the time. The latest was to use all of the months of the year and days of the week to write a story (I think that this was done to reinforce the spelling of these words, which appeared on the standard spelling list for the week). His story which he is turning in today:

Once upon a time there was a boy named Mud, who was given an assignment to write a story containing all of the months of the year and days of the week. Mud's story listed January, February, March, April, May, June, July, September, October, November, and December. (He forgot to add August.) [I think he stuck this in because he forgot to add it. smile ] Then his story listed Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. When Mud turned in his story, he got an F-.

Gotta love that self-advocacy. smile After he wrote this he brought it to me to look at, and told me he had been thinking of using infinitely nested frame stories but that he was too tired to write it all down. I'm guessing he was too muzzy-headed to think of how to structure it properly, never having done anything like that before (it was around midnight when we realized his homework was due today and it was a rush job).

I told him he should take some time this weekend to write a proper deeply nested story, and we'll probably start by reading over "The Three Storytelling Machines of King Genius", which contains possibly my favorite bit of whimsicality by Lem, the tale of Mymosh the Self-Begotten. I also put a copy of the Arabian Nights by his bedside.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick