An example of Canadian HR law in practice-- if you are an employer filling a job in a field with a historic demographic bias, you must actively enact policies that encourage the hiring of the "disadvantaged" group(s).

Having spoken with high-level HR professionals at several banks, consultancies, CPG firms, and governments, if an equally qualified male and female apply for most professional services roles, the female will get the job. Lucrative government work doesn't even rely on the notion of equal qualification--simply belonging to an underrepresented group and being somewhat qualified will get you the job.

As a female, I think it's specious to suggest that females today should be compensated for the wrongs that women of yesterday suffered. It's not as though all women share a bank account and apportion out our gender's earnings based on time worked. I've turned down plum work several times on principle because I was invited as a female professional, not just a professional.

Reverse discrimination is just as damaging as favouring white males. It takes an organization's focus off its core mission and values employees for factors out of their control. I'm a champion of equality of opportunity, not outcome from the starting gate.

As a mother of a son, I'm troubled by the fact that being the best candidate doesn't matter for a white boy. While there are indeed social advantages to being a white male that carry over from antiquated social norms, there is a genuine and systematic bias against white males in professional services in Canada. From what I understand, similar legislation is in place in the Commonwealth and much of Western Europe.

What is to give light must endure burning.