Originally Posted by Val
Maybe it's just me. But I'm getting a whiff of resentment in this thread, especially as regards not wanting one's children to associate with the "rich." I agree with Bostonian's last point.

Also, how do you feel when others get resentful because your kid is "rich" in IQ points and is "smarter than god" as far as they're concerned? And when you get the impression that people don't want to associate with your kid because of this impression?

It really bothers me when people focus on one wrong and conveniently ignore parallel ones. Sorry to say something that's going to sting, but if you complain about one kind of injustice (e.g. judging gifted kids based on preconceptions about them) but then make similar sweeping judgments about something else ("rich kids"), you show that you're no different from the people you complain about. And IMO, this kind of narrow thinking doesn't help solve problems. It just perpetuates them! smile

I can only speak for myself. My kids do associate with (nice) rich kids--I am not judging rich kids (or adults). I like to get to know people before I form opinions about them. Some of my friends who have trust funds are the hardest working people I know, they have high expectations for their kids and don't make excuses when their kids fail (or cheat). They don't throw money at them and teach them to be responsible. But I have also seen, with my own eyes, how spoiled, entitled, wealthy college students behave, in the classroom and out of it, and I would strongly encourage my children to avoid that scene. I am not judging their money, but that level of wealth can lead to a very conspicuous attitude and approach to life that causes harm to others. Thankfully they are not the norm.