Originally Posted by madeinuk
The main thing that I like about the modern German education system as opposed to the older one is this. Once upon a time, you either went to the 'brainy' high school aka 'gymnasium' and then went to university or you didn't and if still relatively bright you were put on the apprenticeship track. That pretty stark choice and route to higher education was it. Now, you still get the above but those that didn't go to gymnasium still have a track to get into a good university. Firstly, they have to take classes that 'ramp' them up to university entrance level and those that do not make the cut do not get to go the university. Adopting this approach means that the standards at university are maintained and meritocracy is strengthened not diluted.

I have no research to back the following home spun theory up but I cannot help thinking that the (misguided) notion that EVERYONE can go to university regardless of academic merit has been a major contributor to the insane rise in costs for students in this country.

How so? Well, the needless expansion has led to a construction boom on many college campuses - how is this financed? By taking on debt. How is the debt serviced? By raising tuition and raising admissions which means yet more construction is needed ...

Interesting. We just had this discussion with my in-laws re: nieces and nephews. My 9 yr. old nephew (who I am sure is at least MG) is not perceived as gifted by his school and is a great athlete who is already saying he would rather not be on the gymnasium track because he wants to hang out with his friends. Dh's family's business is painting, and we have great respect for trades, but it seems sad to me that a kid that young could already be making choices that limit his future. If there is a viable 3rd way I think that makes sense, I am curious to ask their take on it.