Bravo, HK - you hit the nail squarely on the head in those last two posts.

I wouldn't even be thinking about Ivy's if it weren't for the nose drive that academic standards have taken. It used to be that only the brightest went to university. Now almost everyone gets to go. Did primary and secondary education miraculously improve? Heck no! Instead the bar was lowered so that all but the dimmest could make it.

I have just about given up (and compared to many children associated with this site, my DD is dim) on my DD having mental peers before college. A real college that is and the closest thing to that these days appears to still be an Ivy simply because they are so selective. Lord alone knows what parents of kids 160+ are thinking!

Unfortunately, even the Ivy selection criteria does not bear scrutiny. But the Ivys do still seem to be the best of a bad bunch - I could sent DD to Europe though so all is not lost. Germany, at least doesn't appear to have completely changed its academic stripes.

The ethical question of conning people that will never, ever in a decade of Sundays graduate even from the lowest calibre universities into borrowing insane amounts of money just boggles my mind. I hope that Hell exists purely so that there be a special place for those that have stooped this low.

So its back to the salt mine for me - 300K will probably be 3Mil in 10 years time...

Last edited by madeinuk; 05/09/13 07:15 PM.

Become what you are