Originally Posted by bluemagic
Being in the thick of this, out of 47 kids in my son's math class only 3 are Caucasian. (Not all are Asian-American but a large percentage.) One of the reasons is immigration policy. The PARENTS who are in this country are those who are bright and successful. The poor Chinese don't have a chance to immigrate. So many of these kids are bright, gifted and motivated.

My high school AP Calculus teacher (known as Calc II in some school systems) was the one teacher I've met who fits the caricature of the highly-tenured, poorly-motivated, union-protected teacher. There were only about 10 of us in the class to start with, and only 3 of us were actually keeping up with the material. They were all getting help at home, because their parents knew the material.

They were also all Asian.

I dropped the course at the semester break. Clearly the teacher was grading on a steep curve, because I got a B. My test scores started out well because the first few weeks of a new math class are mostly review. My last test score was in the teens.