What Deedee said. True; I could have written more sensitively. Culturally different? Alienating? Bewildering? I think any young person is going to find it somewhat hard going when dropped into an environment with a high proportion of people whose life experiences are nothing like theirs. This can cut in all kinds of ways. However, when these people also have more power and wealth than you, I think it's harder. (Example B: I'm also a bit concerned about my DS5 going to school with quite a lot of very poor kids, come this fall. However, he has a lot of privilege by comparison, so the concerns are somewhat different, and lesser.)

In an extremely privileged environment like Yale, I'd feel concerned about my kids not being aware of certain unwritten rules, not having certain experiences that are typical for the wealthy, etc. I would add that if people are judging them by this they probably kind of suck anyway, but it may still matter to my children. I don't think my kids are likely to end up on the Ivy path anyway, but I don't know this for sure. They aren't lacking in ability or drive.

ETA: Am I worried that my kids will be assaulted by rich kids? Hmm. I suppose not really. I worry about d*ckhead date rapists with a privilege mentality, but you can meet those guys at State U.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/16/13 10:51 AM.