Hey Bostonian: I work (half-time, but I will probably go back to full-time eventually). I quit working in advertising because it was morally repugnant to me. I am now a writer employed by a university. I'm severely undercompensated and don't get any benefits, but my job is very rewarding and is also beneficial to the public. I don't want to explain exactly what I do because it's too identifying, but it's not fluff journalism.

Do you feel it's every person's moral responsibility to make as much money as they are capable of making?

ETA: I didn't see HK's reply. Yeah, so--my husband (who has an advanced degree) has also chosen a career path that is not well-compensated but serves the public. He still could go another, better-paid direction and we still consider it, but it would likely be very toxic to him personally. (My kids don't come by their sensitivity to justice and fairness out of nowhere.) There are a few other circumstances at work here as well. So even with my half-time salary, we're out of the sour spot, I think. If I were to go back to work FT in my original field, though, we would sure as hell be in it.

We also are consciously opting out of a lot of the consumption merry-go-round. We live in a small, efficient house, drive small, modest cars, and don't spend much on material goods. It's intentional and part of our moral code. However, the one thing I still rather want for the kids is the college education of their choice. This is a dilemma. Fortunately, they're very bright, but we also do have it in the back our minds that we are quite possibly limiting their options in a serious way. I hope they won't resent it one day. My one other concern is student debt. I will advise them to change college plans if their most desired school involves massive debt assumption.

The thing is, I just don't care that much about money. I grew up in a very wealthy environment (we were not very wealthy--UMC--but my town was). I was not impressed. I'm still not. Obviously I recognize that children need health insurance, good clothes and healthful food, feelings of income security, and some opportunities for this and that--and my kids have all this-- but I don't feel the need for us all to have the latest shiny.

Last edited by ultramarina; 05/16/13 08:04 AM.