Believe me, if you are that poor, you have a tough time at ANY college. I was one of those students-- you simply lack any experience with the trappings of UMC+ lifestyles, and those things are the social fabric through which your classmates connect and socialize, making new connections through shared past experiences and likes/dislikes.

I had no CLUE what tennis racket I "liked" never having played. I had no idea if I liked caviar, Hawaii, or Europe, nor did I have a spring break preference. KWIM? I couldn't go out to eat or anything because I couldn't afford it. No, not even local coffeeshops.

This was a serious handicap socially. I could either sit out, or lie, and as often as not, I didn't know enough to lie successfully anyway. I did NOT leave college with lifelong friends. I was too busy working full-time to make many, and I was that girl on the sidelines. I have since connected with several people who were in similar straits, and have friends who are also alums. But we all have few "college friends" that we keep up with.

My husband's experience was similar, but for different reasons. He was a city kid who went to a big-league Ag/Science college. Highly regarded, to be sure, and he got a stellar education... but he came out with very few close friends. His classmates had nothing in common with him, and as diverse as his campus (and mine) were, we were still outliers.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.