Originally Posted by deacongirl
I'm glad dd12's language arts teacher wasted her time getting her PhD. She doesn't appear to be an emotional trainwreck.

Graduate study is an opportunity to immerse oneself in a discipline and contribute to it. I understand that many gifted students will go to graduate school, but I want them to do so with their eyes open. A new Stanford program encourages humanities PhDs to become high school teachers.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/...as-emerge-panel-doctoral-reform-stanford
Doctoring the Doctorate
May 24, 2013 - 3:00am
By Colleen Flaherty
Inside Higher Education

Hoping to help Ph.D.s secure jobs and challenge old notions about academe, Stanford University will encourage and pay for humanities graduate students to pursue careers as high school teachers, starting next year.
The plan consists of a new course offering that will expose graduate students to humanities issues in high school pedagogy and curriculum, and a promise by the School of Humanities and Sciences to fully fund each humanities Ph.D. admitted to the competitive Stanford Teacher Education Program in the Graduate School of Education.
“Many of our students are superb teachers and committed to the transmission as well as the production of knowledge, and our society needs good teachers at all levels,” said Debra Satz, senior associate dean for the humanities and arts, in an e-mail interview. Although not a traditional career path for Ph.D.s in the U.S., where teaching is “undervalued,” she added, “In Europe, it is much more common for high school teachers and others to have advanced degrees.”