Originally Posted by ultramarina
To my knowledge, beating up on liberal-arts degrees isn't really based in reality. ... I think there's quite a lot to be said for not specializing too early--and for learning how to write, for heaven's sake.

Oops. Sorry. I didn't express myself as well as I might have. I have a degree in history and would never beat up on the humanities. What you wrote even applies to me precisely: Those history and English classes taught me how to write and I didn't specialize early. The degree in history was a deliberate decision to become well-educated based on the knowledge I'd be doing science or medicine later.

I was trying to criticize the degrees that provide little in the way of mind-broadening education for the vast majority of students and little in the way of job training. So, lots of cash (and loans) in, little of value out.

More specifically, I'm thinking of the types of programs that require only 40 pages a week on average of reading and little writing (this number was mentioned earlier in this thread or elsewhere here recently). Most of us here have probably heard about the studies showing that many college students learn very little in their four years of doing a degree. I was talking about the kinds of programs that lead to that kind of outcome.

ETA: I found the message with the reference to 40 pages: read it here.

Last edited by Val; 06/04/13 01:01 PM. Reason: Accuracy