Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by JonLaw
Because is costs $250,000.

That reason I perfectly understand and consider quite valid. My post referred to "overly competitive environment" reason, which has been mentioned by others on this thread.

It depends on the individual, I'd say.

This isn't about a peer cohort in the intellectual sense-- OF COURSE having a true peer cohort is the best thing for HG children and adults. OF COURSE.

But-- the out-competing mentality associated with Tiger Parenting (and, let's face it, matriculation at any institution that actively PRIDES itself on only admitting 2%, 4%, 6%... of applicants) is setting up that kind of hypercompetitive environment in those admits.

They have to compete like that to GET IN.

Now, if your goal in life is to be at the top of your profession, and you're willing to "out-compete" your colleagues to get there, then that kind of environment is probably a fine idea.

But there are people who are not made that way. Constitutionally, they are collaborative and pro-social in their very souls. It would be a grave mistake to place a person like that into that kind of setting, where one regards peers as "opponents" in an elaborate and very, very expensive game of musical chairs.

Many introverts would also find that kind of environment actively draining-- as any introvert knows all too well, there are people who are intensely draining, and a lot of them tend to be aggressive, competitive, and extroverted.

Not all people have the same social needs.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.