Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
You know, I had a similar profile-- only because I didn't really know any different and neither did my (somewhat naive) parents. Right down to the absentee parenting, come to that. My mom was completely AWOL for most of my high school career in one way or another, and often literally... I couldn't stand the snobby kids, so I sure wasn't a "joiner" other than being an enthusiastic band member. I could really rock a standardized test, though.

Heavens, how the colleges stalked me...

CalTech and RPI were both really aggressive in chasing me, even. I was flabbergasted. Seriously had no idea what to make of all of this sudden courting by high-flying schools that I'd only heard of in hushed whispers... it was just bizarre. None of my friends had people from {insert elite college} calling. I checked. LOL.
A country where a bright student with non-elite, "naive" parents is courted by the best universities could be described as meritocratic, a case I have been making in many posts.

You do understand that this was in the early 1980's, though, right?

The few elite schools that I visited, it was also clear that I was a "low SES" admit for them-- that is, I wasn't like the other students at the institution. There's a reason why I didn't go to any of those schools.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.