Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by deacongirl
Originally Posted by Bostonian
I don't understand what people are afraid of.
I bet Yeardley Love's family could answer that. (obviously not all rich kids are violent entitled athletes)
I have seen articles stating that varsity athletes are more likely to commit crimes, but is there any evidence that kids from rich families, controlling for athletic involvement, are more likely to do so? In any case, I don't think other posters are afraid that their children will be assaulted by rich kids. DeeDee's views are more plausible and likely more widely held.

Yes, DeeDee's views are perfectly plausible. I have many friends who are rich. Like donating buildings to their alma maters rich. (Some also happened to be varsity college athletes). Clearly the situation in Steubenville demonstrates that kids of all socio-economic levels make dumb decisions and stand by and watch without doing what is right.
So, no, I wouldn't send my kid to that environment fearful they would be assaulted. But I would certainly teach them to recognize spoiled entitled kids who had never experienced the consequences of their actions, who had no concept of money or work, and to avoid them at all costs. Sadly many of them don't grow out of it:
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tour...-a-member-tournament-spirals-out-of.html